Solar Development on Public Lands
The debate over developing solar energy projects on public land has proven to be a controversial topic. The article below describes the benefits of solar development on public land.
Solar development on public lands offers many benefits, from reducing the threat of climate change to creating green jobs. Large-scale projects can have serious impacts on the land, so it is important that they are built in the right places and the right ways.
By focusing on development in smart places and off-setting or mitigating the impacts, we can:
- Protect wildlands and sensitive wildlife habitat.
- Facilitate responsible development by taking advantage of nearby existing roads and power lines. This makes development faster, cheaper and better for the environment, solar developers and consumers.
- Restore and repair damaged wildlands and wildlife habitats in areas where renewable energy development is occurring.
The Wilderness Society continues to work in collaboration with:
- Conservation partners at regional and national organizations.
- Solar developers.
- Government agencies, including the BLM and Department of Energy.
- Utilities that manage the power grid and deliver power to consumers.